Setting up a Google Analytics account should be one of the first items tackled when launching a new website. Google Analytics allows website owners and digital marketers to see website metrics like the number of users, sessions, page views, and conversions the website receives. With this website data, the website owner or marketing team can make strategic decisions to drive the direction of their digital marketing.
In this blog post, we will discuss three common Google Analytics questions including how to set up a new Google Analytics account and add a website to the account, how to login to Google Analytics, and how to delete a Google Analytics account.
How to Add a Website to Google Analytics
There are two ways to add a website to Google Analytics. The first way walks you through the steps of creating a new Google Analytics account and adding a new website to it. The second way to add a website to a Google Analytics account requires the user to have an existing Google Analytics account.
Add a Website to a New Google Analytics Account
- Signup for Google Analytics by creating a new account.
- The create account options will appear, add an Account Name then click Next.
3. Select Web, Apps, or App and web, depending on where you are adding the tracking code.
4. Add the Website Name, URL, Industry Category and Reporting Time Zone then select Create.
5. Add the Google Analytics tracking code to the head section of all pages of your website.
6. Test the tracking code is working properly by going to your website and then checking Realtime in Google Analytics.
Add a Website to an Existing Google Analytics Account
- Login to Google Analytics.
- Click the Admin Gear in the bottom left-hand corner of Google Analytics.
- Then, click the blue Create Account button.
4. Follow steps 2 through 6 above to complete the setup.
How to Login to Google Analytics
To login to Google Analytics, simply go to https://google.com/analytics and sign in to the proper Google account or you can access Analytics through the menu in your Google account. Once logged in to Analytics, you can search through the various accounts, properties, and views you have access to.
How to Delete a Google Analytics Account
To delete a Google Analytics account, you must move the account to the Trash Can. To move a Google Analytics account to the Trash Can:
- Login to Google Analytics.
- Go to the proper account, then select the Admin Gear to access the account settings.
- Click Account Settings.
- Select Move to Trash Can.
5. Then click the blue Trash account button.
To Sum It All Up
Google Analytics is an essential marketing tool used to track website metrics from all marketing channels. We 100% recommend using Google Analytics to track your website metrics and we are happy to help you with any questions you might come across during the Google Analytics account setup process.
If you have a question that was not answered above, or you would like to speak to our digital marketing team about Google Analytics, please reach out by filling out a Free Consultation form!